nanog mailing list archives

Re: home router battery backup

From: "Aaron C. de Bruyn via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:24:38 -0800

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:43 AM Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz () sctcweb com> wrote:

BTW, Calix ONTs default to "Disable on battery = on" for the GigE ports -
it's checkbox in the config to turn that off so they stay up when the power
is out. Which we do uncheck. Particularly since we've going increasingly
VOIP and our employees can connect remotely. Sadly, I suspect that trying
to get a major telco to go in and uncheck that box for you would be the
equivalent to talking to a wall.

My "small" (< ~5,000 customers) ISP won't uncheck that box for me no matter
how much I beg, plead, or offer to bring them snacks for their office.
They keep mumbling stuff about FCC requirements which I suspect is just
handwaving.  Oh well...it's on a generator-protected outlet now.

-A