nanog mailing list archives

Re: BANDWIDTH and VONAGE lose FCC rules exemption for STIR/SHAKEN

From: goemon--- via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:24:42 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022, Michael Thomas wrote:
On 2/17/22 11:58 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:
https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-finds-two-providers-failed-fully-implement-stirshaken-0
 The Federal Communications Commission today took action to ensure that
 voice service providers meet their commitments and obligations to
 implement STIR/SHAKEN standards to combat spoofed robocall scams.
 Specifically, voice service providers Bandwidth and Vonage lost a partial
 exemption from STIR/SHAKEN because they failed to meet STIR/SHAKEN
 implementation commitments and have been referred to the FCC’s Enforcement
 Bureau for further investigation.
So for probably a year or so before the Stir/Shaken mandate came, I have been seeing a lot less phone spam. I don't know if that's typical but it was quite noticeable for me. What that tells me is that providers likely started clamping down on their shady customers well ahead of the mandate which says that regulatory fiat would have been sufficient too. But that hinges on whether my situation is typical though.

my phone spam is off the scale, and increased sharply just before stir/shaken went into effect. are spammers desperately trying to get their last bites in before their providers start getting shut down?

-Dan