nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 18:22:20 +0200

Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> writes:

I view IPv6 as the biggest mistake of my career and feel responsible
for this horrible outcome and I do apologise to Internet users for
it. This dual-stack is the worst possible outcome, and we've been here
over two decades, increasing cost and reducing service quality. We
should have performed better, we should have been IPv6 only years ago.

I believe this is slowly sinking in among the technology evangelists and
geeks who managed to drive the half-assed dual-stack transition a decade
or two ago. No one will argue for dual-stack anymore.

So where does that put us in a decade or two?  Which protocol is
optional?

Bjørn