nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 10:27:49 +0300

On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 10:20, Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no> wrote:

Adding new access infrastructure of any sort (Fixed Wireless is the
hype...)?  Why would you want to continue being stupid even if you
implemented dual-stack for all your fibre, hfc and dsl customers?  You
can save a lot by dropping dual-stack complexities in PGWs and FWA CPEs,
even if we assume most of the fibre/hfc/dsl value chain is reused.

Can you? You need to offer IPv4 anyhow and all the complexities
related to that, i.e. some stateful box. Why would I offer in addition
to that IPv6, which is not being requested by anyone. And by anyone I
mean anyone I want as customer, as those who request it, are probably
going to be expensive to support and I need to subsidise those with my
regular customers, so I'd rather not cater to those.

--
  ++ytti