nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fiber Network Equipment Commercial Norms

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:49:50 -0700

On 9/22/21 6:12 PM, Lady Benjamin Cannon of Glencoe, ASCE wrote:
If someone were to make us remove a redundant DWDM node, we’d charge them list price to ever consider putting it back*,
plus a deposit, plus our costs for the removal in the first place.  Bad move.  Enjoy the $8million, it could cost more
than that to undo this mistake.

*you’d actually never ever get it back in the form you’d want. We’ll never trust the site again and won’t place
critical infrastructure there, we’d only build back what’s needed to serve the use.

Buy the building then. Owners change and some are more friendly than others. Why would someone ever place critical infrastructure at a site without a solid agreement that prohibits removal, or at least making them whole financially so they don't have to take it out on the next person that comes along? I'd hate to be the poor customer that gets treated as lesser class because a previous owner caused hurt feelings.