nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 18:11:41 -0500

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:07 PM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

On 11/26/21 1:44 PM, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:

Here are some maths and 1 argument kicking ass pitch for CFO’s that use
iphones.

*Apple tells app devs to use IPv6 as it's 1.4 times faster than IPv4*

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-tells-app-devs-to-use-ipv6-as-its-1-4-times-faster-than-ipv4/

Build around that maybe?

This really hits my bs meter big time. I can't see how nat'ing is going to
cause a 40% performance hit during connections. The article also mentions
http2 (and later v3) which definitely make big improvements so I'm
suspecting that the author is conflating them.

Mike

Ok, take the same ipv6 is faster claim from facebook

https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2015/04/facebook-news-feeds-load-20-40-faster-over-ipv6/