nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 00:00:14 -0500

Owen DeLong wrote:

Agreed. But I have every right to express my desires and displeasures with widespread plans to encourage what I
perceive as misuse and that’s exactly what’s happening here.

My right to attempt to discourage it by opposing proposed standards is exactly equal to your right to encourage it by
promoting them.

Since your discouragement may take form in preventing some amount of improvement or amelioration to IPv4 users, there is a human cost associated to that.

Absent the equivalent clear correlation of harm to whatever else you believe those resources are engaged in, I would not say those two behaviors are of equal consequence.

I’m really saying what I said. That IMHO, there’s no benefit to the internet overall if this proposed change is
accepted and/or implemented and I see no benefit to standardizing it. As such, I remain opposed to doing so.

There is a clear difference of opinion on this, that there stands a very good chance that prompt implementation now may prove to provide significant benefit in the future, should IPv6 continue to lag, which you cannot guarantee it wont.

Further, there is historical precedent that discouraging re-purposing IPv4 addressing is the wrong decision.

Whether or not the effort that would be wasted implementing it would go to IPv6 or to some other more useful pursuit is
not a concern I factor into my opinion in this case.

And I appreciate that, as I consider that reasoning to be specious at best, morally dubious at worst.

Again, have not made any such assumption here, either. It’s not relevant. The only thing I consider relevant is that
any resources expended on a complete waste of time could be better
expended elsewhere.

I dont consider my opinion as to what people's effort should be spent on relevant to whether a particular proposal has merit all of its own.

Which GUA and LL are not, no matter how readily available and easily assignable and otherwise equivalent they are in
every way but the one. They are not loopback designated by standard (and system implementation).
And this matters why?

Owen

So re-purpose 127/8 and if users and developers agree with you, it will become available right about the time IPv6 should have finally managed to obsolete IPv4, no harm no foul. And if it fails at that again, at least we will have 127/8 and cohorts.

Joe