nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP reputation lookup (prefix not single IP)

From: Elvis Daniel Velea <elvis () velea eu>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 11:27:12 -0700

Hi,

On 3/25/21 8:28 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
I think you will find that most SMTP / anti-spam focused RBL tools
give a very similar result for IP reputation on a per /24 block basis

Since I started working as an IPv4 Broker I've done tens of thousands of scans (for blocks of IPs) in hundreds of blocklists.

There are a handful of blocklists that will list the whole block (that may be a /24 or even a /16) - Spamhaus is an example.

However, most blocklists will list only the IPs that have actually done spam. Barracuda, spamrats, etc.

got cites?  this got me curious the other day.

randy
Randy, I can share our data with you if you want to do an analysis of the data, I may find a way to give you access to our historic blocklist checks database. We can discuss in private.

---
randy () psg com
`gpg --locate-external-keys --auto-key-locate wkd randy () psg com`
signatures are back, thanks to dmarc header butchery

cheers,

elvis