nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP reputation lookup (prefix not single IP)

From: Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:43:49 -0700

Nothing more than anecdotal evidence, when I last looked into the
externally available network details on a number of low-budget VPS hosting
companies...   I would say that if anything, a person who really knows what
they're doing operating a properly MX, will face more difficulties today
than they did 3, 5 or 7 years ago operating the system in the same
netblocks as IPs which have been previously abused.

For obvious reasons the IP reputation systems and antispam tools at the
biggest destinations (gsuite/gmail, office365, etc) are treated as closely
guarded proprietary data.

My personal theory on a whole /24 acquiring a poor reputation, is that it
does have some correlation with the density of random $5/mo VPS customers
and the turnover of different customers between the same small group of
IPs. And exactly how many misconfigured smtp sources have existed in that
block within some previous range of time, how much spam has been
reported/flagged, etc.