nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Re: Facebook and other walled gardens

From: Christopher Conforti <admin () conforti xyz>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:09:01 -0400

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 11:41:22 -0700
William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 10:23 AM Andy Ringsmuth <andy () andyring com>
wrote:
No. Use a communication method that is available globally, not
proprietary and doesn’t require me to sell my soul to the devil
simply to participate.

Hi Andy,

I refused to get a Facebook account until I was paid to. Now that I
have one, I wonder why I bothered. I isolate it in its own browser
profile so it can't snoop the rest of my web activity and I gave it an
alias email address that only they have. I mostly  control what
information I give them. I like having an effortless way to keep up
with my extended friends and family. In spite of that, I was surprised
how good a job Facebook did targeting ads to my interests -- the
knight hoodies were just too cool.

Sigh. It is probably a losing battle. You kids get off my grass!

The world moves on. I still don't like the idea of Facebook, but I
actually like Facebook.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

P.S. Facebook's "Portal Plus" device is simply the best personal video
conferencing device I've ever used. Clear audio. Following camera that
keeps you in frame. It's slick.

P.p.s. Did you know that accessing customers' private information
without the customer's explicit permission is a zero-tolerance
first-time firing offense at Facebook? I didn't! Seems they got
religion after Cambridge Analytica. They even have strong technical
controls to stop it. They process the heck out of your data but they
do not, do not look.

No, they just sell it to another gaggle of chuckleheads who *do* look.
It doesn't matter whether or not they look, I don't want them having it
in the first place. :P

--
Christopher Conforti