nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Re: Facebook and other walled gardens

From: Andy Ringsmuth <andy () andyring com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 13:15:35 -0500

On Mar 22, 2021, at 12:51 PM, Ethan O'Toole <telmnstr () 757 org> wrote:

No. Use a communication method that is available globally, not proprietary and doesn’t require me to sell my soul to
the devil simply to participate.

In your case you would have to go to an E-Mail list... which for some takes more time to curate / read versus
something that is driven by push notifications.

Well of course.

And, guess what - we have one at church.

But, being a church (meaning volunteers handling things) it is quick and easy for things to “just happen.”

What’s to stop #RandomSundaySchoolTeacher from starting a FB group for Sunday school kids/parents? Nothing. And then
people glom onto it, and it becomes quasi-permanent and semi-official.

Ultimately it comes down to something which is definitely lacking in today’s world:

A brain.

Otherwise known as “common sense” or “critical thinking.”

One cannot solve a “people” problem with technology. We all know that. PEBKAC or “layer 8” problems. We’ve all been
there. They aren’t going away. They will only get worse.

-Andy