nanog mailing list archives

Re: DANE of SMTP Survey

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:39:23 +0200

On 6/3/21 23:41, babydr DBA James W. Laferriere wrote:

    The Signing of the 'Zone' ,  Can the 'Zone' be signed by a self-signed key ?  Or MUST I (and others) rely on a external certificate authority ?

    Mind you I notice in rfc6487 (note(s)) about self-signed certificates .     So Maybe I am being a bit over worried about having to spend more money just to keep my 2 ip-ranges routing in light of the RPKI initative(s) .

    Which Mr. Andrews response below answers quite succinctly ,

Indeed! Thanks, Mark.

Yeah, it's never been obvious or apparent to me that self-signed keys for DNSSEC would not be honoured.

My personal zone, as well as my company's one, are both self-signed. They've both been working reasonably well, so far.

Mark.