nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni broadband sucks (was: New minimum speed for US broadband connections)

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 09:15:28 +0200

On 6/3/21 09:07, Jim Troutman wrote:

No.  Most of the municipal proposals I see are open access, even with a PON design.

In South Africa (we don't have city-owned/operated fibre access), all the major fibre operators run a GPON network. They all provide open access to the ISP's they partner with. So far, it seems to work well.

I'd say only one of the fibre operators is not an ISP (there may be more, it's a big country). The rest are, but they run the businesses as a silo so that they are fair to both their ISP divisions as well as the 3rd party ISP's they partner with.

Mark.