nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask () develooper com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 14:27:44 -0800

On Jan 3, 2021, at 13:57, Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

I just sent some mail to the myshakes folks at UCB asking if they have an achitecture/network document. In their case
for earthquakes it need to be less than ~10 seconds so they are really pushing the limit. If they get back to me,
I'll share it here.

The two platforms they support have APIs and infrastructure to make it work at large scale.

Piggybacking this sort of thing on another connection is trading some connection overhead for a whole lot of
application complexity. This being nanog it’s unsurprising that the discussion is focusing on the connection and
protocol bits, but those are a tiny part of the overall complexity (for the client, too). 🙂

Ask