nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 21:41:27 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Martin" <lists.nanog () monmotha net>

The nice thing is that such emergency alerts don't require
confidentiality and can relatively easily bear in-band,
application-level authentication (in fact, that seems preferable to only
using session-level authentication).  That means you could easily carry
them over plain HTTP or similar which removes the TLS overhead you mention.

Sure.  Just signing the alert packet so it can be authenticated is plenty.

Several GB of RAM is nothing for a modern server, of course.  It sounds
like you'd probably run into other scaling issues before you hit memory
limitations needed to juggle legitimate TCP connection state.

Well, yeah, but I don't know that it's *just* RAM; I suspect it might be
data structure as well...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com