nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 15:36:29 -0500

On 1/3/21 3:11 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
Well, TCP means that the servers have to expect to have 100k's of open
connections; I remember that used to be a problem.

Out of curiosity, has anyone investigated if it's possible to hold open a low-traffic, long-lived TCP session without actually storing state using techniques similar to syncookies and do so in a compatible manner? I suspect no since you don't have control over your peers sequence numbers, but then someone smarter than I came up with syncookies...
--
Brandon Martin