nanog mailing list archives

RE: Parler

From: Jerry Cloe <jerry () jtcloe net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 23:20:49 -0600

I think its more probable to say that AWS didn't even know about this. As far as I can see, epik is just another AWS
customer who spun up an instance and is hosting dns on that instance.  I doubt AWS is watching customers at a level
that would detect this. But, I'm also sure that AWS has since caught wind of this and is watching closely. I just
checked, and both listed servers are returning an A record for parler, although its bogus info (probably meant as a
place holder with low TTL so no one caches an nxdomain).

$ dig parler.com ns

parler.com.300INNSns4.epik.com.
parler.com.300INNSns3.epik.com.
ns3.epik.com.108450INA52.55.168.70

It's quite possible that Amazon is playing this *entirely* by the book, and
the Parler crew haven't violated the terms of the nameserver hosting
agreement so Amazon hasn't cut that off.