nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 12:43:30 -0500

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 09:26:07 +0000, Mark Foster said:'

Yeah my family got a PS4 for Christmas. But we've had an Xbox One for
the last few years. There are quite a few streaming apps, true.  But a
lot fewer of those than worldwide telcos, or jurisdictions, or emergency
services.

You missed the point - Hulu would *still* have to deal with every single jurisdiction
or emergency service in a secure manner.

But any given ISP doing business in a given county would only have to deal with
a very small number - and the local sheriff's office would only have to notify the small
number of providers actually providing access in the county.

So do you want the streaming service to deliver the alert, or do you
want the underlying device doing the streaming, to deliver the alert?
Because I think you've gone down a layer and didn't need to.

How do you deliver the alert if the device is on but no streaming service is
currently active? And for a lot of devices, that's the usual state of affairs.
As far as I know, most people who have a Google or Alexa smart device have it
on close to 24/7, but the devices aren't streaming media that much.

That's why I think doing it at the streaming service level is one level too high.