nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 09:36:06 -0800

On 1/3/21 12:26 AM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 18:59:37 +1300, Mark Foster said:

In my mind it's simple.� The streaming companies need to have a channel
within their streaming system to get a message to a 'currently active
customer' (emergency popup notification that appears when their app is
open or their website is active with an authenticated user).� The
Oh geez. Just on my PS4, there's streaming apps for Disney+, Netflix, Hulu,
Prime, Playstation Store, Peacock, Tubi, ESPN+, AppleTV, YouTube (less than
half of which I actually subscribe to, but I haven't found a big enough crowbar
to remove the others, they keep returning) - and that's probably not a complete
list.

It also begs the question of what constitutes a "streaming service". Is my marketing department's slick new ad campaign video a "streaming service"? I could easily get engrossed in its valuable messaging and miss that tornado alert.

Inline messaging is a complete dead end on the internet. Inline was because there was no other reasonable way to message on broadcast tv. That is definitely not the case now.

Mike