nanog mailing list archives

Re: private 5G networks?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 19:16:34 +0200

On 12/7/21 18:57, Jean St-Laurent wrote:

I thought 5G here meant Fifth Generation of mobile network and not 5 Ghz wifi. I don’t need a sim card to use wifi on 5 Ghz.

Is the private 5G network advertised by Amazon a kind of?

Put a sim card in that phone and use our 5^th Gen mobile gears. This way you can use your private phone numbers in your private system and send emoji, texts, pictures and even use your phone as a phone to call other people in that private 5G network.

Is this new thing just about having a private 5 Ghz wifi or it’s about using phones in 5^th Gen mobile communications through Amazon gears?

5G cellular, not 5GHz wi-fi.

Oddly, they are billing it as an augmentation to wi-fi, even though I believe in dense cities where fibre is rife, wi-fi will be a more feasible prospect, especially 802.11ax.

However, given how much cellular can scale, Amazon's "5G Cellular in a Box" solution may just be the thing the tips the ratios between both wi-fi and 5G being feasible in concentrated deployments, simultaneously.

Mark.