nanog mailing list archives

.bv ccTLD

From: Sylvain Baya <abscoco () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 04:02:30 +0100

Dear NANOGers,
Hope this email finds you in good health.
Please find my comment below, inline...

Le samedi 4 décembre 2021, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap () nlnetlabs nl> a écrit :

 > > [...]
 >
 > Quite a while ago I met a guy at an ICANN meeting who'd made a deal with
 > American Samoa to sell .AS domains since AS is the corporate
abbreviation in
 > several European countries.  It went nowhere, the Samoans took it back.

Similar ideas where held for MD and TM but didn'y seem to work
out. Furthermore, an indepent Bougainville mighs change the name
to something else (as Zimbabwe did).

Hi Jaap,
Thanks for your email, brother.
It's, imho, exactly the right compromise to do.

...still available ISO 3166-1 Alpha-2 codes: bc, bk, bp
and: vb

All those names are not yet delegated zones within
the DNS; therefore they are all available to be used
as ccTLD: .bc ? .bk ? .bp ? .vb ?
...bougainvilleans [1] should just pick one to start
the processes of securing both Alpha-2 & ccTLD.
__
[1]: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_Island>

Shalom,
--sb.