nanog mailing list archives

Re: wow, lots of akamai

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 01:17:55 +0200

* patrick () ianai net (Patrick W. Gilmore) [Fri 02 Apr 2021, 01:01 CEST]:
I know first hand that Akamai has explained to large customers the possible problems with multi-GB updates to millions of users simultaneously. If the game company does not care, then I do not see what you expect the CDN to do about it.

Thanks, Patrick. In fact, Akamai has been a partner in this dialogue:
https://blogs.akamai.com/2020/03/working-together-to-manage-global-internet-traffic-increases.html

One of the positive results is described here:
https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2021/03/Season-Two-Reloaded-Warzone-File-Size-Reduction
"Enhancements to the overall content management system has been made possible through data optimization and streamlining content packs needed for individual game modes. This will come after a larger than usual, one-time update for Season Two Reloaded, which will include these optimizations and is necessary in order to reduce the overall footprint; future patch sizes for Modern Warfare and Warzone are expected to be smaller than the one set to release on March 30 at 11PM PST."

So the ISPs as well as the CDNs and the players are being listened to by at least this publisher.

        -- Niels.