nanog mailing list archives

Re: Submitting Fake Geolocation for blocks to Data Brokers and RIRs

From: Robert Blayzor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 22:54:40 -0400

On 4/22/2021 9:30 AM, Tom Beecher wrote:
While I agree with the overall sentiment of your message, I am curious ; have there been any instances where an internet provider has been found liable (criminally or civilly) for willfully misrepresenting IP geolocation information?

How could there be? Isn't geolocation data just a "best guess" where the endpoint may be? Technically you could route an IP (at least a /24) almost anywhere. What about anycast prefixes?