nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Community - AS0 is de-facto "no-export-to" marker - Any ASN reserved to "export-only-to"?'

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 19:42:30 -0700

In my comments, it’s more about avoiding de facto “standards” in favor of having actual “standards” or following
existing actual “standards”. There are RFCs that cover what the OP wants. There is an IANA well-known Communities
registry that can be expanded to record any additional functionality OP wants from communities without creating de
facto standards. The problem with so-called “de facto standards” is that there’s an open question of who decides what
the standard is and how much credibility they have and/or can maintain over time. There’s also the problem that nothing
prevents someone who doesn’t like someone else’s “de facto standard” from creating one of their own. In some cases,
everyone yawns and ignores the new standard. In other cases, the old standard fades in favor of the new. In most cases,
the community fractures, both standards gain some traction and neither standard wins creating more chaos than standard
in the end.

IMHO, that’s a real document-able reason.

YMMV.

Owen