nanog mailing list archives

Re: Survey on the use of IP blacklists for threat mitigation

From: Alex Conner <hello () codatory com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 16:49:12 -0400

If we want to go down that rabbit trail, then aren’t we talking about
Reputation lists?

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:44 PM Harald Koch <chk () pobox com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, at 15:08, J. Hellenthal via NANOG wrote:

blacklists are not always deny/block/disallow and conformed of things that
allow you to take actions whatever your choosing upon their contents and
your policies.

What’s next ? redlisting ? Don’t offend the Russians ... blue ? Don’t want
to offend the police ...

How about - don't use colour at all, since it's just a culture-specific
proxy for the actual meaning? "blacklist" and "whitelist" are challenging
for ESL and for people from other cultures. Block list, allow list, filter
list, etc. are all more precise terms that happen to be easier for everyone
to understand.

Improving technical jargon is always worthwhile.

--
Harald Koch
chk () pobox com