nanog mailing list archives

RE: 5G roadblock: labor

From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 11:35:56 -0700

On Friday, 3 January, 2020 10:53, Radu-Adrian Feurdean <nanog () radu-adrian feurdean net> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020, at 16:38, Paul Nash wrote:

And more interestingly, if that city's residents and visitors had the
option of connecting to active 5G or wi-fi, what do we think they'd
choose?

They’d probably choose whichever popped un onto the device first.

Don't know how things work in US, but mobile devices sold here in Europe
do prefer wifi over cellular. If a pre-"approved" wifi network exists,
and it doesn't have a captive portal, it will be systematically
preferred.

And here in France we have some networks lile this. they use SIM-EAP.

How absolutely awful that must be, to always be relegated to slow and insecure childrens band.  I turn off childrens
band (WiFi) on my phone with extreme prejudice and it stays that way.  I have yet to meet a childrens band network
(WiFi) that was worth connecting too.

Then again I don't play on my phone ...