nanog mailing list archives

Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 17:56:06 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020, Tom Deligiannis wrote:

In this scenario, which mechanism controls the download speed? I hear many users complain that their gigabit
internet connection is not maxing out and the update is taking forever. I would never expect a gigabit internet
connection to be saturated during a game update, but I'm curious how the throttling works.

Speaking from my CDN and service provider hats, I'd say upstream congestion. If you're an end user with a gigabit internet connection, on a service that presumably has lots of customers with similarly large connections, it's a safe bet nothing upstream of you is provisioned with enough capacity to serve everyone running full speed. Whether it's peering with the CDN, backhaul on your provider's network from the peering point to whereever you are, etc. Something, or multiple something's, will run out of pipe in a traffic event like yesterday's.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are