nanog mailing list archives

Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

From: Tom Deligiannis <tom.deligiannis () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:11:28 -0600

I get annoyed when I'm chatting with friends, waiting to play some game
we decided to download, and it's ONLY downloading at 300 megabits per
second! :P

In this scenario, which mechanism controls the download speed? I hear many
users complain that their gigabit internet connection is not maxing out and
the update is taking forever. I would never expect a gigabit internet
connection to be saturated during a game update, but I'm curious how the
throttling works.

Thanks.