nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Andrey Kostin <ankost () podolsk ru>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 16:46:57 -0500

Mark Tinka писал 2020-01-04 00:43:
On 4/Jan/20 00:26, Andrey Kostin wrote:

Could be true very soon. When supporting cable infrastructure will
become too expensive they will cut it in lieu of mobile, like many
railways were decomissioned earlier. Must be a local tipping point in
each area but it shouldn't be long to wait.

Ummh, and what technology do you think is running the base stations that
are transmitting at 6G, 7G?

Mark.

I'm talking only about last mile access. Wireless is going the same path as fixed access before: from big central facilities to end-user as much close as provided services bring enough revenue to cover upgrade costs and create some profit. With copper phone lines the situation has already turned backward because revenue from services isn't sufficient. We all know physics and Shennon/Kotelnikov theorema. To get more speed more spectrum is needed but more spectrum is available in higher frequencies, that have shorter coverage. Where it's going to stop - I don't know, 6G or 7G or XG ;) Only making enough money is needed to go to the next G. Regarding comparison WiFi and cellular networks, it's clear that WiFi won't be able to compete with mobile in terms of scalability. Building WiFi in public places like stadiums is already became a job specialization, but every such implementation has it's limit. On the other hand, 5G as I can see is a big step in this direction in terms of spectrum and subscribers management. Mobile networks are developed for central control of all the components on all layers, that's why mobile standards contain thousands pages. WiFi is a technology for local access and to make it more scalable means to go through the same development process as mobile networks did. Something can probably be improved but even if it succeed it won't be cheap anymore. Currently WiFi is only describes single layer of connectivity, and this is why it's cheap, but on the next layer (i.e. IPv6 implementation) we can see incompatibility between "standardised" WiFi devices. Compatibility on many layers is necessary to orchestrate all of them, so not going to happen. Yes, WiFi and mobile can be compared in radio, but not in anything else.

Kind regards,
Andrey