nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

From: Hunter Fuller <hf0002+nanog () uah edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:18:36 -0600

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:
I can think of many legitimate cases, but i think this is where you have internet for everyone and internet for the
tech-savvy/business split that becomes interesting.

I’ve generally been willing to pay more for a business class service for support and improved response SLA.  The
average user isn’t going to detect that 10% of their UDP has gone missing, nor should they be expected to.

I really hope my constituents don't have to get business class
connections just to get decent performance out of our services, such
as UDP based tunnels. They barely care what a VPN is, much less what
UDP is. And if our VPN software detects that UDP is available, it will
use it, so I suspect it would be (or is being) affected by this.