nanog mailing list archives

Re: QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:43:22 -0500

On Feb 20, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Daniel Sterling <sterling.daniel () gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:
if the question is will the browser vendor (google) or the broadband provider (att)
move first, i can already predict the answer.  my experience (again) with the quic
wg is they seem to think there's many options and bad providers will be replaced
which seems disconnected from reality.

Agreed. Since I'm in RTP, I *am* lucky enough to live in an area where
there are multiple ISPs.

But not everyone is, and local-loop unbundling is no longer a thing :(

The average user is at the mercy of their local ISP. So the major
providers should (but may not have much incentive to) provide decent
service.

Honestly, there’s part of me that wants to say be lucky you have a choice.

My options here are (1.5m DSL, fixed wireless ISP behind several layers of NAT,
Cellular data or dial-up).

“Watch this space” for my solution.  Several people know what it is, but
my solution isn’t for everyone.

- Jared