nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mx204 alternative

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 00:01:03 +0200

On 2/Sep/19 14:52, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

Maturity is such a subjective word.

As service provider operations go, maturity.

But yes there are plenty of options for routing protocols on a Linux.
Every internet exchange is running BGP on Linux for the route server
after all.

Not quite the same thing, but I take your point.

I am not recommending a server over MX204. I think MX204 is brilliant.
It is one of the cheapest options and if that is not cheap enough,
THEN the server solution is probably what you may be looking for.

You can move a lot of traffic even with an old leftover server.
Especially if you are not concerned with moving 64 bytes DDoS at line
speed, because likely you would be down anyway in that case.

As to the OPEX I would claim there are small shops that would have an
easier time with a server, because they know how to do that. They
would have only one or two routers and learning how to run JUNOS just
for that might never happen. It all depends on what workforce you
have. Network people or server guys?

That's what Saku was alluding to earlier - opex is not just in the hardware.

Mark.