nanog mailing list archives

Re: This DNS over HTTP thing

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 21:25:31 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>

In article <804699748.1254612.1570037049931.JavaMail.zimbra () baylink com> you
write:
Tools. Are. Neutral.

Any solution to a problem that involves outlawing or breaking tools will.
Not. Solve. Your. Problem.

I think in the outside world you'll find very little support for an argument
that filtering DNS is fundamentally broken.

Sure, you can do it in broken ways, but it's going to be really hard
to persuade anyone that their lives are better if they have unfiltered
access to the malware links in their spam.

I expect I would.

But this is not "filtering DNS".  It's "making a bodge-handed attempt to
REPLACE DNS (well, proxy it) for only one application/layer".

My problem isn't what they're using it for; it's that they've implemented
it so poorly.

I live down here in the trenches, John, where "it doesn't work" is the calibre
of problem reports I get.  When my tools say that "yes, it does", *I'm* the one
who takes it in the nads because Mozilla had a Better Fuckin' Idea.

That it will likely cause lots of 50,000ft problems to is just a cherry on the
top.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com