nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent & FDCServers: Knowingly aiding and abetting fraud and theft?

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 10:22:50 -0700

On 10/11/19 07:16, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
This should not be just a “nitpick". AT&T announces our extremely legacy ARIN allocation for us because we do not
qualify to have an ASN, but I absolutely did not, will not, and*have actively resisted attempts to*  transfer the block to them.
I would sooner have my gums tattooed than give up my address space. Having an ASN was not a requirement when we were allocated
the resource, and I don’t see why we should be punished for being early adopters.

How exactly is it punishment that BGP needs an AS number? If AT&T won't support a private AS number for the last mile then that's AT&T, not ARIN. If you're a legacy holder you should be around long enough to know this stuff and that it's not some conspiracy that BGP uses AS numbers.