nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: Rob McEwen <rob () invaluement com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 11:43:22 -0400

On 10/7/2019 7:37 AM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 03:03:45 -0400, Rob McEwen said:
Likewise for spam filtering - spam filtering would be knocked back to
the stone ages if IPv4 disappeared overnight. IPv6 is a spam sender's
dream come true, since IPv6 DNSBLs are practically worthless.
Riddle me this:  Why then have spammers not abandoned IPv4 and moved to
IPv6 where we're totally powerless to stop their floods of spam?

I'm tired of hearing the excuse "We can't move to IPv6 because then we couldn't
stop the spam" - if that were true, then every organization that *has* moved
to IPv6 would be drowning in spam.

(1) as Stephen Satchell said... because a huge percentage of mailboxes (perhaps the vast majority?) are still behind servers that (wisely!) only listen on IPv4 for non-auth connections, so spammers would have to make extremely large deletions to their distribution list if they only sent to emails where the mail server only listened on IPv6.

(2) For my own commercial anti-spam blacklist, I've had SEVERAL new subscribers this past year who specifically complained about spams that my anti-spam blacklists (AND all the other ones like Spamhaus, etc!) were NOT blocking. I requested more information about the ones that weren't getting blocked... and they were almost all IPv6-sent spams. I simply explained to them that they do NOT have to do this, and that most of that spam will go away the moment that their server only listens on IPv4 (at least, for non-SMTP-AUTH email - they can still listen for IPv6 authenticated email without these problems). I also explained to them that there hadn't been a situation in the history of the world where an email didn't make it to a server that only listened on IPv4 for non-authenticated email.

(3) Many IPv6 mail servers have had to invest/expend significantly more resources per mailbox.

(4) trying to get everyone to move too quickly to IPv6 POTENTIALLY actually damages email and harms OTHER's spam filtering. Why? Because it enables listwashing. A spammer can literally send to 10s of thousands of email addresses each from a separate /64 block, with a one-to-one relationship between the /64 block and the recipient email address. Then they can listwash spamtrap addresses based on which of those /64 blocks get blacklisted. It ALSO harms email because shady marketers get the idea that there are endless new IPs to burn through, and that only emboldens them. So when it comes to email, it turns out that IPv4 scarcity (for non-auth connections) is a feature not a bug! But, if desired, you can STILL have massive amounts of IPv6 clients sending via SMTP authentication - so this won't limit your ability for your refrigerator to send authenticated email to you! (so that greatly minimizes the "but we're running out" longer-term argument - besides the fact that this isn't really a HUGE problem anyways - since IPv6 clients already are already able to connect to IPv4 servers)

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com