nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 15:18:34 +1100

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 04:36:50PM -0400, bzs () theworld com wrote:

On October 4, 2019 at 15:26 owen () delong com (Owen DeLong) wrote:

 > OK… Let’s talk about how?
 >
 > How would you have made it possible for a host that only understands 32-bit addresses to exchange traffic with a
host that only has a 128-bit address?

A bit in the header or similar (version field) indicating extending
addressing (what we call IPv6, or similar) is in use for this packet.

How does that allow the host that only understands 32-bit addresses to
exchange traffic with a host which sets this header bit?

- Matt