nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

From: Jérôme Nicolle <jerome () ceriz fr>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 12:42:29 +0200

Hi Radu,

There might be some misunderstanding here. I don't care about what's sold or done *today*, I'm thinking ahead of what newer hardware and software will allow us to build in the (near) future.

That's probably something most of us lack : freedom to look ahead, rather than being swamped in yesterday's concerns.

In that specific case, I'm the middleman buying fat pipes and selling slices from them. Should I stick to good'ol L2VPNoMPLS-TP ? Or does newer gear let me do things in a slightly better way ? May SDN allow me to fine-tune my network to fit functional needs or is technology still a barrier to efficient use-cases ?

As an optimist, I chose the former, and love to engage in such debates with my peers, as long as I can avoid backward-thinking "We've always done it that way" assertions.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14