nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

From: Jason Lixfeld <jason+nanog () lixfeld ca>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 07:02:13 -0400

On May 28, 2019, at 6:41 AM, Jérôme Nicolle <jerome () ceriz fr> wrote:

Hi NaNOG !

I'm looking for a muxponder that would take OTU4s on the network side
and provide 10/40/100GbE on the client side, with some kind of
oversubscription, as to provide a "fractional 100GbE" e.g. starting with
30-60Gbps commit that could be upgraded to 100GbE when network capacity
is available.

Is that something feasible at a decent price ?

I've read that Broadcom' StrataDNX (Qumran / Jericho) chips have OTN
support in addition to ethernet now, is there some vendor who leverages
this, preferably with OCP gear ?

Hi,

IP Infusion’s OcNOS is geared towards OCP gear, and while it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, they recently
published[1] a note pertaining to IPoDWDM, so I could see them having maybe already done something along the lines of
what you’re asking about, or they may have plans to.

[1]
https://www.ipinfusion.com/news-events/ip-infusion-qualifies-inphi-colorz-in-its-latest-release-of-the-ocnos-network-operating-system/