nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP question

From: Harlan Stenn <stenn () nwtime org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 19:02:49 -0700

On 5/1/19 5:55 PM, William Herrin wrote:
On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 5:48 PM Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf () dessus com> wrote:

If you have one such installation, then you really do not care about the
"accuracy" of the time.  However if you have multiple such installations
then you want them all to have the same time (if you will be comparing logs
between them, for example).  At some point it becomes "cheaper" to spend
thousands of dollars per site to have a single Stratum 0 timesource (for
example, the GPS system) at each site (and thus comparable time stamps)
than it is to pay someone to go though the rigamarole of computing offsets
and slew rates between sites to be able to do accurate comparison.  And if
you communicate any of that info to outsiders then being able to say "my
log timestamps are accurate to +/- 10 nanoseconds so it must be you who is
farked up" (and be able to prove it) has immense value.

If your network is air gapped from the Internet then sure. If it's not, you
can run NTP against a reasonably reliable set of time sources (not random
picks from Pool) and be able to say, "my log timestamps are accurate to +/-
10 milliseconds so it must be you who is farked up." While my milliseconds
loses the pecking order contest, it's just as good for practical purposes
and a whole lot less expensive.

It's not clear to me that there's anything *wrong* with using the pool,
especially if you're using our 'pool' directive in your config file.

That directive will bring up ~10 associations and continuously evaluate
their quality, throwing out the poor performers and soliciting new
servers of currently-good quality to replace them.

This goes to "have _enough_ good-quality servers, and monitor your ntpd".

If your system is Internet-connected. If you run an air gapped network then
yeah, get your time out of band.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--