nanog mailing list archives

Re: Power cut if temps are too high

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 22:31:55 +0000

Most EPO “mushroom” buttons can be wired either NO or NC.

-mel via cell

On May 27, 2019, at 3:27 PM, Brian Kantor <Brian () ampr org> wrote:

I was assuming the EPO trigger is a circuit that is normally OPEN
and is closed when the button is pushed.

If instead, it is a normally-CLOSED circuit, then you are correct,
you would want two thermostats that both OPENED when the temperature
rose, which would typically be HEATING thermostats, not AIR CONDITIONING
thermostats.

Either method could have been installed; in the computer room I
worked in, the EPO was a normally-open circuit that closed when you
hit any one of the buttons placed around the room and at the exits.

Or indeed, if the fire suppression system triggered.
   - Brian