nanog mailing list archives

Re: really amazon?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 18:31:37 -0400

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 12:54:07AM +0300, Scott Christopher wrote:
Rich Kulawiec wrote:

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:13:48PM +0300, Scott Christopher wrote:
Because it will get spammed if publicly listed in WHOIS.

Yes.  It will.  Are you telling us that Amazon, with its enormous financial
and personnel resources, doesn't have ANYBODY on staff who knows how to
properly manage an abuse@ address -- part of which includes dealing
with that exact problem?

They do, but it's just time-consuming and inefficient. You can't spam-filter
the content of abuse@ obviously.

Actually, yes, you can -- but probably not in the way you're thinking, because
if you do it *that* way you will break [some of the] required functionality.

But in addition to spam, random (read: non-technical) people will send
complaints outside of the usual purview of spam, network abuse, DMCA,
etc. They find some FAQ on the web telling them to determine the PoC on
whois.domaintools.com and then they start firing crap.

This is not my first day on the job.  I'm aware of what shows up at
role addresses.  However, handling the problems you enumerate here is a
straightforward (albeit occasionally tedious) matter that any operations
engineer above entry-level should be able to handle.  Doubly so because
people like me have done them the favor of writing about it (here and
elsewhere), so they can use our experience without needing to repeat
our numerous mistakes.

I prefer openness and transparency and the general spirit of WHOIS but, in practice,
you really do need the limit the PoC information to a trusted group of insiders.

First, there's no such thing as a trusted group of insiders.

Second, even if such a group existed, limiting PoC information to
them is impossible.  Think about it.

Third, besides WHOIS PoC, RFC 2142 (and decades of best practices)
specify abuse@, postmaster@, etc.  My expectation is that anyone
equipped with baseline competence will be fully prepared to handle
traffic to those addresses (as applicable) effectively at whatever
scale their operation requires.

---rsk