nanog mailing list archives

Re: 44/8

From: Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 14:39:33 -0400

On 7/21/19 7:32 AM, William Herrin wrote:
Yeah... It just seems like holding an asset in trust for a population and
selling that asset without consulting that population (or at least
consulting the organizations the population commonly understands to
represent them) is very fishy business.

This is the major problem, lack of community involvement.  It's a world wide
resource, but it's use has been hamstrung by the people in charge for years.

Having read their explanation, I think the folks involved had good reasons
and the best intentions but this stinks like fraud to me. Worse, it looks
like ARIN was complicit in the fraud -- encouraging and then supporting the
folks involved as they established a fiefdom of their own rather than
integrating with the organizations that existed. The "appearance of
impropriety" is then magnified by ARIN deeming the matter a private
transaction between it and the alleged registrants to which the pubic is
not entitled to a detailed accounting.

You know what they say about good intentions.

https://imgflip.com/i/362r0m

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice