nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS Flag Day, Friday, Feb 1st, 2019

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 01:15:59 +1100

On 31 Jan 2019, at 10:59 pm, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019, 01:27 Radu-Adrian Feurdean <nanog () radu-adrian feurdean net wrote:

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019, at 03:24, Mark Andrews wrote:
You do realise that when the day was chosen it was just the date after
which new versions of name servers by the original group of Open Source
DNS developers would not have the work arounds incorporated?

I think it's pretty safe to say that the "DNS Flag day" is more like a date of "end of support" rather than an
"service termination". My guess is that some uncompliant servers will be still running long after that date...

--
R-A.F.

(resending from correct address)

Right.

The concern is that it's *also* the date when all the major recursive lookup servers are changing their behaviour.

New software availability date?
Awesome, go for it.

Google, Cloudflare, Quad9 all changing their codebase/response behaviour on a Friday before a major sporting and
advertising event?

Not sounding like a really great idea from this side of the table.

Are we certain that the changes on the part of the big four recursive DNS operators won't cause downstream issues?

As someone noted earlier, this mainly affects products from a specific company, Microsoft, and L7 load balancers like
A10s.  I'm going to hope legal teams from each of the major recursive providers were consulted ahead of time to vet
the effort, and ensure there were no concerns about collusion or anticompetitive practices, right?

I'm fine with rolling out software that stops supporting bad behaviour.

What I find to be concerning is when supposedly competing entities all band together in a pact that largely holds the
rest of the world hostage to their arbitrary timeline.

Perhaps it's time to create a new recursive resolver service that explicitly *is not* part of the cabal...

Matt
(hoping and praying this weekend will go smoothly)

So you are worrying about sites running Windows DNS from prior to Windows Server 2003 (this is where Microsoft added
EDNS support) and sites that have a firewall that blocks all EDNS queries.  The large recursive server farms don’t do
DNS COOKIE so you don’t need to worry about that.

Those Windows servers work most of the time even with a DNS servers that don’t fall back to plain DNS on timeout.  And
if you have installed a firewall that blocks EDNS you have shot yourself in the foot.

We actually have a hard time finding zones where all the servers are broken enough to not work with servers that don’t
fallback to plain DNS on timeout.  We can find zones where some of the servers are like that, but there is usually one
or more servers that do respond correctly.

Of the datasets I’ve looked at that 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 100,000 zones will have problems with updated servers.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka () isc org