nanog mailing list archives

Re: the e-mail of the future is the e-mail oft the past, was Enough port 26 talk...

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 12:52:06 -0700

On 01/15/2019 10:46 AM, Tei wrote:
I think the newsgroups died because was expensive for ISPs and filled with nasty stuff (warez and porn).

I believe newsgroups are still very much so alive and quite active. I see 15k ~ 20k messages / 50 ~ 75 MB of /text/ newsgroups daily on my server. My ~15 (I don't remember the exact number and can't be bothered to loo) peers will likely agree with me.

I see content on Usenet that is not available elsewhere.

There's also the binary news servers that are used to trade warz and pr0n and other untold things.

Gopher died because HTML was a improvement in every possible way.

I still see references to people using Gopher multiple times a year.

IRC still exist,

Yep.  I use it daily.

because it don't need to be hosted by a ISP.

I don't think an ISP is required to host any of the things being discussed in this email.

Forums still exist.

Yep.

Some of them even gateway into other communication mediums.

Mail list still exist (we are on one) Homesites where replaced by blogs.

Based on what I /personally/ see, mailing lists and usenet are roughly comparable.

Gmail?

Meh.

G Suite accounts are expensive. I believe you have to pay by email address and get quite pricey. "Free" alternatives have a place because can be cheaper than that.

Gmail have not added the "Foo has read your message" or "Foo is replying to your email". Two things that would be easy for them to do in Gmail to Gmail communication, and would be must-have features for a mail user. So maybe they don't aim to world domination?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. <monotone>Email is not instant messaging.</monotone>

Is very hard to replace a open protocol, wrapping may work if the protocol is mostly abandoned (IRC) but thats not the case for email. I don't think email is going to be replaced soon.

There are people who say it yearly.  But I never believe them.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die