nanog mailing list archives

Re: Elephant in the room - Akamai

From: Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:20:39 -0600

Once upon a time, Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net> said:
I guess what I'm getting at is that it sounds like, if you cannot
source the content locally to the peering link, there's not likely
to be an internal connection to the same site from somewhere else
within the Akamai network to deliver that content and, instead, the
target network should expect it to come in over the "public
Internet" via some other connection.  Is that accurate?

I believe this is true of multiple content networks.  For example, we
peer with Amazon in a couple of locations, but a significant amount of
traffic frmo their AS comes across transit rather than peering.

In old terms, this is "hot potato" routing - where the source gets the
traffic out of their network as soon as possible, rather than spend
internal resources to carry it as close to the destination as they can.
--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>