nanog mailing list archives

Re: Elephant in the room - Akamai

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 11:48:38 -0500

On 12/8/19 10:58 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
Not all content is suitable in all locations based on the physical security or market situation. We have some content
that can not be served, an example is locations where there are licensing requirements (eg: ICP for China).

You will see a different mix from our 20940 vs 16625 as well. Those have different requirements on the security side.
If you treat your PKI data seriously you will appreciate what is done here.

In Marquette Michigan there will be different opportunities compared with Amsterdam or Ashburn as well.

Our customers and traffic mix makes it challenging to serve from a platform where you do capital planning for several
year depreciation cycle. We have thousands of unique sites and that scale is quite different from serving on a few
distinct IXPs and transit providers.

So yes you will see a difference and there are things we can do to improve it when there is a variance in the behavior.
I guess what I'm getting at is that it sounds like, if you cannot source the content locally to the peering link, there's not likely to be an internal connection to the same site from somewhere else within the Akamai network to deliver that content and, instead, the target network should expect it to come in over the "public Internet" via some other connection. Is that accurate?

Thanks for the clarifications.
--
Brandon Martin