nanog mailing list archives

Re: Attacks from poneytelecom.eu

From: valdis.kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 20:08:58 -0500

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 12:58:48 -0800, Dan Hollis said:
On Thu, 4 Jan 2018, valdis.kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Been there, done that.  Been out of the country and offline for 36 hours,
reconnect and there's a user with a problem that would have been dealt
with 36 hours earlier if they had sent it to our help desk instead of to me
directly.

They use your direct contact info because your help desk isn't responsive.

Not really - because a big chunk of the time, I end up opening a ticket with
the help desk in their behalf, because I wasn't even the person who was
actually responsible for fixing their problem (I do infrastructure, not user
services).  They just splat out a mail to a name they recognize because I've
been here almost 3 decades now.  Why they think I can help with a NetApp CIFS
permission issue just because they remember I fixed their SGI system in the
late 90s is beyond me...

Plus, I know for a fact that if they called our help desk, they'd probably have
a ticket open and called back by somebody faster than I would reply, because
the help desk's SLA is measured in "reply in hours", while mine is "within 2
business days" for non-system-down situations.

Hell, took me 4 hours to respond to your mail. :)