nanog mailing list archives

Re: CenturyLink

From: Raymond Burkholder <ray () oneunified net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 10:01:16 -0700

On 2018-12-29 7:51 a.m., Matthew Huff wrote:
We have two stratum-1 servers synced with GPS and a PTP feed from a provider that also provides PTP to market data systems, but
we still have to monitor drift between system time and NIST time. Don't ask for the logic behind it, it's a regulation,
not a technical requirement.

On one occasion, due to bad firmware or a configuration issue, I have seen GPS stratum 1 diverge from NTP.  It was somewhat eye brow raising to the company.  My NTP monitored servers were shown to be diverging their GPS/NTP, but after looking at twice or thrice, it was the other way around.