nanog mailing list archives

Re: Purchased IPv4 Woes

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:11:59 -0600

On 3/12/17 9:11 AM, Chuck Church wrote:
Maybe a silly idea, but shouldn't the sale of a block of addresses
(RIR ownership change) trigger a removal of that block from all
reputation list databases?  If I buy a car from a police auction, I'm
fairly sure the FBI doesn't start tailing me, because the car was
once used for less than legal purposes.  New owner, clean slate.

No.

No verifiable way to confirm that a block has actually changed hands, and not just had its user/POC renamed, sold to 'new' owner to dodge bankruptcy/creditors, etc.

And just because a car was bought at police auction doesn't mean it has no bad things associated with it anymore - such as drugs in the walls of the passenger doors, or the FBI tracking device under the front driver wheel well.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org