nanog mailing list archives

Re: Purchased IPv4 Woes

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost () snowman net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:20:59 -0400

Chuck,

* Chuck Church (chuckchurch () gmail com) wrote:
Maybe a silly idea, but shouldn't the sale of a block of addresses (RIR ownership change) trigger a removal of that
block from all reputation list databases?  If I buy a car from a police auction, I'm fairly sure the FBI doesn't
start tailing me, because the car was once used for less than legal purposes.  New owner, clean slate.

That would be an awful easy way to allow people to game the entire
reputation list system by simply creating more companies and passing
ownership around.

This could work if the system "knows" that the buyer isn't going to
use the netblock for spamming, but that's next to impossible to do in
any kind of automated fashion.

Thanks!

Stephen